We really feel for the 60+ people who have lost their jobs today – if this affects you, we urge you to take a look at Citizens Advice bureau to find out your rights.
We are disgusted with the behaviour of the site landlord and supermarket bully Lidl UK.
No matter what you think about the state of the building (which couldn’t be renovated because of this Lidl threat) or the need for an affordable supermarket in Stirchley, it is awful to lose two businesses of this kind. There were plenty of other sites in Stirchley that Lidl could have bought up… the newly available Tesco site namely.
We continue to oppose this decision and we want to show support for fitness/leisure facilities in Stirchley. Even if Fitness First won’t relocate to another building here, another gym might take up in the area knowing there is a gap in the market. It is going to be harder to relocate the bowling alley but we can continue to hope.
The community fought really hard to save the site and should be proud of itself.
- Write letters of complaint. Adapt and send these letter templates to Lidl, Fitness First and Birmingham City Council. We urge you to write and express your opinions.
- Lidl CEO: Christian Härtnagel email@example.com
- Lidl Customer Services: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com Lidl UK GmbH, 19 Worple Road Wimbledon, London, SW19 4JS
- Birmingham City Council Leader (interim): Stella Manzie, firstname.lastname@example.org Birmingham City Council, Council House, Victoria Square, Birmingham, B1 1BB
- You can sign and share the petition: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-lidl-replacing-fitness-first-in-stirchley
- You can voice your disgust at the closure on social media.
And why not……
- Tell PSL Bowling that you want to help / support them in finding a new home in Stirchley
- Ask the local management team/staff at Fitness First Stirchley if they’d open an independent gym up in Stirchley……. there’s the gap in the market for it.